At North Scarle Primary, our overarching aim for English is to promote high standards of language and literacy by equipping pupils with a strong command of the spoken and written word, and to develop their love of literature through widespread reading for enjoyment.
We aim for our pupils to:
- read fluently and with good understanding
- develop the habit of reading widely and often, for both pleasure and information
- acquire an understanding of grammar and knowledge of linguistic conventions for reading, writing and spoken language
- develop a rich vocabulary
- write clearly, accurately and coherently, adapting their language and style in and for a range of contexts, purposes and audiences
- use discussion in order to learn; they should be able to elaborate and explain clearly their understanding and ideas