Art & Design
Intent – what do we expect our children to learn?
At North Scarle our Art and Design provision aims to give children an impressive knowledge and understanding of other artists, craft-makers, and designers. Children will have the ability to think and act like creative artists, using their knowledge and understanding to inform, inspire and interpret ideas, observations and feelings.
- Develop ideas
understanding how ideas develop through an artistic process
- Master techniques
involves developing a skill set so that ideas may be communicated
- Take inspiration from the greats
involves learning from both the artistic process and techniques of great artists and artisans throughout history
You can view the subject content that your child will be taught each term by viewing each classes curriculum overview.
Implementation – how do we expect them to learn?
All lessons build on prior learning and teachers support children to learn and remember more through:
- A subject discreet lesson following the long-term plan across the school to ensure depth and progression across the school
- All units start with children developing ideas, they also develop ideas throughout units of study.
- Essential skills are revisited overtime
- In Year 1, children build on their learning from EYFS - Creative Development
- Content is carefully sequenced so prior knowledge and concepts are built upon from previous year groups and/or terms
- Children in all year groups learn about ‘The Greats’
- Opportunities to enable links to other curriculum areas
- Children learn about and meet local artists
- POP quizzing for long term memory
- Questioning in lesson about prior knowledge
As part of our enrichment curriculum, we aim to celebrate North Scarle, our beliefs and values, with an 'Arts Week'. This year we will be exploring ‘Creativity through Culture’ during the Summer Term. We will be looking at a variety of artists and techniques, connecting our learning on diversity and developing a fantastic project to share with our community. Keep an eye out on our school website for some of our superb learning.
We measure the impact of our curriculum through the following methods:
- A reflection on standards achieved against planned outcomes
- POP tasks/quizzes
- Pupil discussions about their learning
- Looking at pupil’s sketch books over time
- Classroom displays reflect the children’s sense of pride in their Art and Design Technology work.